Common Core Standards: Math
1. Apply and extend previous understandings of addition and subtraction to add and subtract rational numbers; represent addition and subtraction on a horizontal or vertical number line diagram.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? That's pretty much the mantra in this standard, which takes a close look at addition and subtraction of rational numbers. Lucky for your students, a lot of the same rules for integers will work here.
With a few minor tweaks, students will be able to use what they already know about addition and subtraction and apply it to rational numbers—i.e., anything that can be expressed as a fraction. They'll also be looking at visual, geometric interpretations of addition/subtraction, positive/negative numbers, and additive inverses. It's number line time, y'all.
- Absolute Value Problem
- Absolute Value Problem (Spanish)
- CAHSEE Math 2.3 Algebra and Functions
- CAHSEE Math 2.3 Algebra I
- Introduction to Absolute Value