The Waste Land
Shmoopril is the cray-est month.
We won't lie: The Waste Land is a doozy. It's generally considered the 20th century's most important poem—and as you might expect, that means it's also one of the most challenging. Fortunately for us, it's a challenge we're well equipped to conquer. As we battle through this five-part journey, we'll hang out with some zombie hordes, dance to pop songs from the 60s, and dive into a few Greek myths, examining our ideas about art, culture, and identity along the way.
Oh, and we'll have a bit of fun, too.
Not only will we emerge having defeated one of the main bosses of poem-land, we'll also come out the other end with a great arsenal of literary terms and techniques, a sense of history in post-World War I Europe, and a few creative projects to boot:
- Through interactive activities and assignments, you'll situate The Waste Land in greater historical and literary context.
- We'll guide you through the tough passages with intensive close readings.
- Via Common Core-aligned lesson plans, you'll debate the value, relevance, and effectiveness of seemingly dated references. Believe us: there are plenty of 'em.
Now dive on in. The waste land's nice.
*Purchasing by unit includes course material only.
Unit 1. The Waste Land
Get ready to tackle one of the most difficult English-language texts in existence. Don't panic, though: in 15 lessons, you'll go from noob to snob.
in affordable packages. GET A QUOTE FOR YOUR
SCHOOL OR DISTRICT
Subscribe for only as long as you need.
- Course Length: 3 weeks
- Grade Levels: 11, 12, College
- Course Type: Short Course
- College Prep
Just what the heck is a Shmoop Online Course?
Common Core Standards
The following standards are covered in this course:CCSS.ELA-Literacy.L.11-12.1