Right to Bear Arms
Right to Bear Arms Questions
There's more than one right answer.
- What is the original meaning or intent of the Second Amendment?
- Does it protect an individual right to gun possession?
- What is the difference between a "civic" right and an individual right?
- Is the Second Amendment obsolete?
- Should we revive the militia?
- Was Congress's use of its tax powers in the National Firearms Act an appropriate way to control guns?
- Should the states have more or less power to regulate guns?
- How do America's gun ownership and gun violence rates compare with those of other countries?
- Is there a correlation between gun ownership rates and gun violence rates?
- Why are gun ownership rates so high in America?
- Take a close look at the text of the Second Amendment: A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. Now consider a few questions.
- Why are there two clauses?
- What happens when you change the sequence?
- What happens when you replace the comma after "state" with a semi-colon?
- If you wanted to guarantee an individual right to keep guns for self-defense, what would you have written?
- If you wanted to guarantee to the states the right to keep militias, what would you have written?
- What is a militia? Who are its members?
- What is a "well regulated" militia?
- Who are "the people?"
People who Shmooped this also Shmooped...