Wuthering Heights Chapter 11 Summary
- Nelly Dean is overwhelmed by a feeling of dread one day while out for a walk. Fearing something awful is happening at Wuthering Heights – particularly to little Hareton – she heads up to the house.
- Young Hareton has become a cursing, violent young boy. Living with "Devil daddy," as he calls Hindley, he is a pure product of his environment.
- Heathcliff continues to visit Thrushcross Grange and begins making the moves on Isabella. He tells Catherine that she has no right to object and that she has treated him like a dog. Nothing will get in the way of revenge against all who have degraded him, though he assures Catherine, "I seek no revenge on you" (11.51).
- Edgar shows up and tries to kick Heathcliff out of the house. When Edgar tells Nelly to "fetch the men" (11.67), Catherine mocks him as a coward, telling him he deserves to be beaten down by Heathcliff. Heathcliff realizes it's time to beat a hasty retreat.
- Edgar tells Catherine that she must choose between him and Heathcliff. She flies into a rage and locks herself in her room.